The following is my ranking, from best to worst, of scenarios for the end of Pope
John Paul II’s pontificate.
- He is strong and active until the day he dies quietly in his sleep.
He is bedridden, but he is in good spirits and able to conduct work until the
day he dies in his sleep.
- either of the above, except he dies painfully.
He becomes incapacitated and
- a letter written by him is used to specify how to proceed.
- there is no letter, but he is not replaced until his death.
- He resigns and is replaced.
- He does not resign and is forcefully replaced.